Re: [tlug] Uninterrupted power supply unit recommendations

Leo, Sach, Simon, Kalin,

Thank you all for responding.

The tips on UPS units are much appreciated, but Kalin does make a staggering amount of sense.

While my overblown ego likes to think of anything I do as "mission critical", the fact is that a sudden power outage is probably not going to do any harm or significant data loss. (And I will soon be asking questions about off-site back up options... stay tuned ;-) )

So probably what I want to do is just get a proper surge protector, as suggested. I did not know such things existed separately from UPS units, so now I know what I'm looking for.

The only question I have now is the importance versus the difficulty of getting proper grounding. I do have some outlets with ground wires, but they are dispersed far away from my computers (one for the air con, one in the kitchen, one behind the washing machine). Is replacing the outlets near my computers something I can do myself, and/or is it worth the expense of doing so? Is it worth running a wire all the way round to one of the available-but-distant outlets?

--
Dave M G