Re: [tlug] Uninterrupted power supply unit recommendations

(2010年08月31日 13:11), Dave M G wrote:
I have three desktop computers that I want to protect. Can anyone give
me some tips or suggestions on what I should look for in a UPS, and how
much I should expect to spend?

Those thousand-yen UPSes sound too cheap by a factor of ten at least.

I have a pair of APC ES 500 UPSes. The battery backup works OK in a yank-the-cable-out-of-the-wall test; I don't know about the surge protection. These units pass through mains power untouched until the voltage goes out-of-bounds (in which case it switches over to the battery), but a more advanced power-conditioned UPS should protect you against almost anything TEPCO can throw at you.

My desktop has too many disks at the moment so it draws more power than the UPS can supply - make sure you get one with enough capacity, and the beefier the UPS the more expensive it is.

Leo