Re: [tlug] In the beginning there is GRUB... or is there another?

Stephen,

Thank you for replying. And points for a Rube Goldberg reference.

I went through the BIOS set up options, and here's what I've got:

Under "Boot -> Boot Device Priority", I've got it so that the only items listed are the CD-ROM, then the internal HD.

Under "Boot -> Hard Disk Drives", the external HD was listed, but I've removed it from the list and it has "disabled" in its place.

Under "Advanced -> USB Mass Storage Device Configuration", I found a setting that says "USB Mass Storage Reset Delay". The minimum time I could select was 10 seconds, so I chose that, but the mysterious 30 second delay remained at 30 seconds.

Under "Main -> Storage Configuration", I found a setting called "IDE Detect Timeout", and this was set to 35 seconds. I thought that sounded really promising. I set it to 0. Sadly, it did not effect the 30 second delay.

I seem to be out of options within the BIOS interface, though I'm leaning to the idea that the problem is somewhere other than the device itself.

One reason I think the USB hard drive is probably okay, is that after the machine is booted, I can plug in the HD and it pops up on my desktop, ready to go, within a couple seconds, and works fine after that.

I realize this leaves me with the "leave the device disconnected at startup" option, but that seems silly to have to plug and unplug on every boot.

Perhaps there's something in the MBR or somewhere that is responsible?

Any more helpful suggestions?

--
Dave M G