Re: [tlug] In the beginning there is GRUB... or is there another?

Mattia,

Thank you for responding.

I edited the BIOS manager so that instead of the motherboard giving me a splash screen it gives me straight text output showing what it's doing.

I also removed the "quiet" option from the GRUB configuration so I'll see any kernel loading info.

Lastly, I went through some instructions on the web to make sure I removed any trace of legacy GRUB settings. I'm 99% sure that any and all GRUB options from the previous version have been eradicated.

The odd delay still remains.

In the motherboard loading phase, it does show a scan for USB hard drives. This takes about 5 seconds, and it verbosely shows me the progress. This happens right before the mysterious 30 second delay.

The kernel loading text shows up just before the Ubuntu splash screen, and it whistles by so fast I can't read anything it says, except catch a few words. This happens after the GRUB2 phase.

So, as far as I can tell, there is still something in between when the motherboard gets ready (including searching for USB drives), and before GRUB2.

It's very puzzling to me. It's been a long time since I read anything about the boot process, but as we narrow down options I'm finding it harder to imagine what could be wedged in there and taking up so much time.

Maybe what I can do is try to take a video so you guys can see what I'm talking about. I'll try to do that tomorrow. But if anyone has any other ideas in the meantime, I'd love to hear it.

--
Dave M G