Re: [tlug] Laptop power consumption

2010/8/18, Mattia Dongili <malattia@example.com>:
> I tend to believe that the big pig could be the gpu.

As I wrote that was my idea too, but according to data that Attila
reported I'm not very sure about it. On the other hand I'm pretty
confident that any power saving could be on gpu only.

> The Ubuntu you tried is a bit old, not sure about Suse.

Ok, I'll give a try to Ubuntu 10, hoping some miracle can still happen ;-)

> Anyway, power management on the radeon open source drivers is not that
> recent (depending on the model), you may want to make sure that your're
> as up-to-date as possible with upstream develoment for that.

Unfortunately all drivers are up-to-date. Provided current proprietary
ATI Catalyst driver doesn't work, I'm waiting for next release
(usually once a month) hoping something could be fixed, even if I'm
not so confident about it. Latest running version which I tried 3
months ago frequently freezed and, to the best of my knowledge, seemed
to require an excessive processing load compared to open radeon
drivers.

Marco