Re: [tlug] Laptop power consumption

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010 10:56:04 +0200
Marco Toldo <marcoxtoldo@example.com> wrote:

> I've got a 6-months old Samsung R520 notebook with Intel Core Duo, 250
> Gb SATA disk, 4 GB Ram and ATI Radeon HD 4300 gpu, with opensuse 11.3
> as only OS on the machine (..bought with windows vista pre-installed
> but completely removed without even booting it once)

With such specs, i doubt you'll get much below 20W for anything usable.

For comparison, my old old Thinkpad T42 has a 10.8V 6.6Ah battery.
This is a bit more than 60Wh power. When the battery was new, i got
around 3-3.5h of battery life time. Which translates into approximately
20W of power usage.

Intels laptop processors have a TPD of usually around 25-35W.
You can about half that for "normal" usage. Add another 5-10W for the
chipset and graphics card, another 1-5W for the harddisk, about
the same for the display and  you know where your power is flowing.

>From what you say, it sounds like you have a 20Wh battery. Given that,
i really doubt that the manufacturer specs of 200min battery life time
can be hold. At least not while the display is on and your harddisk is
spinning.

			Attila Kinali
--
If you want to walk fast, walk alone.