Re: [tlug] bash and grep and diff

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:

 > True freedom is enabled by control.  [...]  My own
 > opinion is yet otherwise....  And good managers will tell you that
 > the control they *need* is greatly enhanced by giving their people
 > as much freedom as they can when they don't need control.

Here's a great example:

http://www.livefromdarylshouse.com/index.php?page=ep22

For the executive summary, watch the intro to the final song "I've
Been Good to You" (just the part where Smokey Robinson talks about Ray
Charles, the song's great as you would expect but not relevant to this
rant), where the band discusses the theory.  Then watch the intro to
"Girlfriend", and you'll see how freedom and control interact in
practice.  And the last twenty seconds of the "Tears of a Clown" track
are a pearl.

In fact, it's worth watching the whole episode straight through, you
can hear how some really great musicians think about this issue.  Not
just Daryl Hall and Smokey Robinson, but T-Bone Wolk is just amazingly
musical, and nobody there is a slouch.

Sure, it's easier to find examples of this in the arts (or sports, but
jocks are not as articulate about it) than in business or even in
programming in particular, but isn't this the way *we* want to work?