Re: [tlug] Basic home-use firewall distro?

2010/8/15 David J Iannucci <jlinux@example.com>:
> I'm gonna try to keep this short. I'm trying to choose a
> firewall/NAT/etc distro for home use, and I had thought for sure there
> would be at least a few mature options to choose from that were made to
> run as live-CDs, with config on a stick or floppy. That's what (I think)
> I really want. I've got the perfect old tower to run it on. Turns out
> there are, like.... none.  To speak of.
(...)

> * pfSense - seems quite good, and powerful, but they recommend using the
>  live CD functionality only to demo the product.

Thinking off the top of my head here, but PfSense (FreeBSD-based BTW)
stores its configuration settings in a single XML file, so possibly there might
be a way of creating a custom live CD which looks for that file somewhere else,
e.g. on an auto-mounted USB stick or "floppy" (whatever those are ;) ).

Ian Barwick