Re: [tlug] New programming revision site - by a TLUG'er

2010/8/11 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com>
> Having discussed this many times I think that we all share this
 > idea, that it's not worth taxing your memory with minor
 > details. That's what I said.  That's what all my friends and
 > colleagues said.

Did you attend a Japanese high school and college?

No, I grew up in Australia and migrated here. Why do you ask?

 > Then, I went to job interviews. And you know what, interviewers
 > nearly never think that. They really believe that if you can't
 > remember the trivial differences, e.g. SQL's substring function's
 > start pos parameter is 1-indexed rather 0-indexed, that you were
 > clearly lying about having built data warehouses.

I don't think that's true (based on a *very* small sample of technical
approaches I've received in the past ten years). In all cases, I got
cut on the grounds that they wanted somebody who could hit the ground
running, and I didn't have the skills in the languages being used.
And they were right, given the tasks my potential bosses said needed
to be done first.  I could have done them, eventually, ...
So (to some degree, anyway) it's not that you can't have done it, ..

Ahem. Cough. I omitted this before but I was an expert in the things being tested. This site I have made is not for learning, but for revising. I *was* an expert just as you (if you have the typical problem of being a migrant to a different language environment) *were* a native speaker of English but yet these days find yourself thinking 'ah, dammit, what's that word again? My English has gotten rusty after 5/10/20/.. years living here.'

If you wish to say programming _fluency_ is an a employment issue, then I take this as a confirmation that the site is doing a good thing.

Akira