Re: [tlug] What the heck happened to my NFS server

Attila,

Thank you for responding.

You fail to tell on which machine you updated the kernel, on the client
or the server?

Whoops, sorry. It's the server machine.

You can use pmap_dump to list all registred rpc programs, it should
iirc at least list "nfs" and "status", optionally "nlockmgr" too.

Yep, it's all there. (There were multiple instances of each, but I trimmed for brevity)

$ pmap_dump
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100021    1   udp  49839  nlockmgr
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs
    100005    3   tcp  41506  mountd
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100024    1   tcp  40842  status

What most likely happend is, that you are running a system that relies
on a kernel-nfsd but installed a kernel without nfsd.

That sounds like a very good theory.

The thing is, the installation was just an upgrade using the Ubuntu "Update Manager", which usually happens without any issues.

So, how would I get this new kernel to get a little nfsd action? I tried searching Synaptic for packages with nsfd in them, but it's not as straight up as just finding a package.

--
Dave M G