Re: [tlug] Webcam recommendation for Linux *and* Mac use

> a webcam so I can chat with them over Skype so now I am in the market
> for a webcam with microphone that I can use on both my Ubuntu 10.04
> system and my slightly old mac mini running OSX 10.5.

I've a couple, both Logitech (one that says "Logitech" on it, the other
says "Logicool"), and they've worked fine with Ubuntu 8 (and Ubuntu 7
IIRC). Ironically, getting the first one to work on a windows notebook
was much harder work [1]. Both cost around 2-3000 yen I think.

These are just cameras, no built-in microphone. I bought a separate
microphone; it is okay, my only complaint is its 1m cable is too short.

> I really want to avoid buying a webcam just finding out when I try and
> install it that it doesn't work on one of my machines, or worse yet,
> that the camera works but not the microphone or vice versa.

Well anything that works on Mac will say so on the box, and anything
that doesn't won't (unless their marketing dept are complete morons). So
I think you're over-thinking this one :-)

Darren

[1]:
http://darren-reviews.blogspot.com/2009/03/skype-logitech-and-cost-of-ownership-of.html

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)