Re: [tlug] linux notebooks, virtualization, windows

Shawn Brown writes:

 > only processor I've been happy with.  I just loose track of thought if
 > I have to wait too long for something to compile or a process to run.
 > I guess that is just my mental weakness but I feel the responsiveness
 > is worth the little extra price.  Hey it's your main workstation!

Well, if you're really compute-bound, CPU cycles may make sense.  But
I've always found more memory, more cores, and high performance disks
to make more sense than paying for a 15% faster CPU.  Even building
software it almost always makes sense to refactor the software if
compiling one file takes a long time, and once you've got all your
files in the subsecond range, more cores with make -j becomes a big
winner.  Most large computations are also somewhat parallelizable.

Maybe for gaming, where you may not want to look at source (and it's
not likely you have it in the first place).

YMMV, but "buy more memory" is a rule of thumb that has saved a lot of
brain sweat for me. :-)