[tlug] New Kindle (was: Netbooks)

Way back in February I wrote:
> With more and more computer magazines and books only available as PDF,
> I'm looking for a good way to read them when mobile. ...
> The kindle is too expensive for something so specific, ...

I notice they have a new version [1] that seems to answer my complaints,
as it:
 a) is affordable: $139 for wi-fi version
 b) does more: PDF reader, browser that will read wikipedia and blogs, etc.

Amazon Kindle marketing is still utterly U.S.-focussed, so my chance of
trying before I buy is nil, but I'm still tempted. I know we might see
colour e-ink next year, and android tablets too, but at some point I
have to give in and stop waiting for the next great thing :-)

For whispersync (reading your kindle books on other devices, including
keeping track of where you've read up to) they mention every OS except
linux, but they do have android in the list, so maybe something can be
done. But I don't really need that feature anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts, or seen any early reviews?

Darren

[1]:
http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reading-Display-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M
(Aug 27th release.)