Re: [tlug] A-bomb service

 On 07/29/2010 06:39 AM, Jawaad Mahmood wrote:
You could apply the same thinking to any kind of atrocity.  Like it or not, the a bomb was a deeply unsettling event.  War is old and we all have a general idea of what it is like.  Potentially eradicating a city with a single bomb isn't - moreover, contaminating it with nuclear fallout is terrifying.

It is really gauche to post in a Japan-related group about how the A-bomb is overrated.  Reminds me of a high school classmate who went in front of our teacher (holocaust survivors daughter) and started off his speech with "We all hear about the 6 million Jews that died in WW2 but hey not the 20 million Chinese?". To an extent he had a point, but it was utterly without tact and served no purpose other than to inflict pain on our teacher.

Yeah, we are hardcore computer nerds and feelings are for the weak but let's save our rants for our own failures; raining on someone else's pain is rather depressing (especially when the Bomb survivors have unerringly worked for peace, something that benefits us all, as opposed to working merely for compensation or to impose themselves on others)
I am sorry, it was not my intention to hurt anybody's feelings and I do not mean that people should not mourn the dead. I have also seen one of the survivors from Hiroshima that work for peace and they
(she, in this case) have my deepest respect.

My point was that A-Bombs, as a weapon, is not much worse than other devices used to wage war. There where 100,000 people killed by "conventional" fire bombs in Tokyo, they are as dead as anybody else. It seems to be the general perception (by far not only in Japan but all over the world) that A-Bombs pose some special threat to humanity. I think this idea is misguided, in my mind war mongering leaders are the
root cause to war and should be banned.

/Fredric

Sent from my iPad