Re: [tlug] A-bomb service

You could apply the same thinking to any kind of atrocity.  Like it or not, the a bomb was a deeply unsettling event.  War is old and we all have a general idea of what it is like.  Potentially eradicating a city with a single bomb isn't - moreover, contaminating it with nuclear fallout is terrifying.

It is really gauche to post in a Japan-related group about how the A-bomb is overrated.  Reminds me of a high school classmate who went in front of our teacher (holocaust survivors daughter) and started off his speech with "We all hear about the 6 million Jews that died in WW2 but hey not the 20 million Chinese?". To an extent he had a point, but it was utterly without tact and served no purpose other than to inflict pain on our teacher.

Yeah, we are hardcore computer nerds and feelings are for the weak but let's save our rants for our own failures; raining on someone else's pain is rather depressing (especially when the Bomb survivors have unerringly worked for peace, something that benefits us all, as opposed to working merely for compensation or to impose themselves on others)

Sent from my iPad