Re: [tlug] A-bomb service

How apropos.  It happens that my playlist is up to CSNY "Wooden Ships"
and "Teach Your Children" right now.

Sotaro Kobayashi writes:

 > I think Japan has had an ability to produce the nuclear weapon
 > since pre WWII era, which technology was imported from Germany.

Sure.  My point was that *today*, unlike N. Korea or India a few
decades ago, Japan probably would not need to conduct tests.

 > I think US could not help dropping A-bombs in Hiroshima and
 > Nagasaki before Japan could complete the project and drop it to US.

Could be, but even if Japan had the capability to produce and deliver
an A-bomb, I don't think the top brass in the military or the American
president could have really grasped what could happen to an American
city until after Hiroshima.

In the end though, I think "shorten the war" is the reason that
allowed those guys to sleep at night in their old age.  At the time
the decision was taken, though, I'm sure there was some mixture of
strategy, revenge (look up what happened to Dresden, Germany, and
why), experimentation, and plain old racism.

 > This Japanese emotion is from a tribute to fallen A-bombs victims in
 > Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I can't help wishing that that tribute were paid as compensation and
health benefits to the living hibakusha, though. :-(