Re: [tlug] enquiry about RAM

Hello Lyle,

Thanks a tonn for the help !

Janpara is defenitly a good shop with unbeatable prices !

I compared the prices of new RAM there was a huge difference. But finally I didnt required it coz I swapped RAM from another machine I have and it worked fine. :-)

I have booked marked this website for future reference. This is surely a great shop !

Thanks and Regards
Deepika

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Deepika Ghuriani
<deepika.ghuriani@example.com> wrote:
> I have a small query. I want to buy RAM for my old laptop, ....
> ...... I am thinking of increasing the RAM from 1 GB to 2 GB.
> Since its a old laptop I would like to get it from Akhiabara (may be a
> second hand ) and would like to exchange my  1 (512-512) Gb RAM inplace if
> possible. Does any one knows any such place where can get second hand RAM or
> in some good price.
> My RAM details are : 512 MB 2 Rx 16 PC2-5300s-555-12.

I haven't bought used memory in several years, but I had good
experiences buying used memory from じゃんぱら before:
http://www.janpara.co.jp/

There's also ソフマップ:
http://www.sofmap.com/

But I always found their (ソフマップ) prices rather high for used stuff.

And - before you lock into getting used - check prices of new memory.
If your computer's memory is in the sweet spot where it's about to
become an old type, but it's still in production and they are
overstocked with it, sometimes new boards are really cheap.  Check out
T-Zone:
http://www.tzone.com/diy/index.jsp

That said - I've had more trouble with new boards going bad than the
used ones I got at Janpara.  I don't know if that's because their
supply of used stuff came (comes?) from good quality machines, or I
was just lucky, or if the boards were tested, tired & true by the time
I got them (and bad ones had been weeded out).

Good luck parts hunting, and if it's not too much trouble, post your
results here so we know what's going on with used memory these days!

Oh!  And avoid NEC (unless you have an NEC computer).  Even when their
parts are *supposed* to be compatible with other manufacturers, it's
been my experience that they almost never are.

And... if you have the time, spend three or four hours and walk down
all (or almost all) the streets with electronics parts in Akihabara -
you never know what you'll find.

Lyle

ASAHI Net.
Visit ASAHI Net's English-language Web page: http://asahi-net.jp/en/