Re: [tlug] [OT] A Question About Degrees

> subjects that I want to work in anyway.  However, I want to make sure
> that my degree is worth the paper it is printed on when I get ready to
> make the big move.

I think this depends entirely on what sort of work you want to do and
where you want to work. Presuming that you are a US National (please
excuse me if I am wrong) I would say that this aspect is probably more
or less the same as being in the U.S. for all of the same reasons.

In my company the degree and where the candidate went to university is
far less interesting then what they did, where they worked before an
what sort of challenges they overcame etc. If the candidate happen to
graduate from MIT, Brown or Cambridge or something that like it would
certainly get my attention, but I wouldn't make any presumptions based
on that. Having no degree at all might worry me a bit on some level,
but again, if they candidate was qualified and everything else seemed
to fit, that situation would be OK as well.

> I am married to a Japanese national, so ultimately the employers are
> of more concern to me than the immigration officials.

Assuming you have, and plan to continue, a spousal visa then your
degree is entirely a non-issue for immigration. At least one of the
two of you having a job that can support both of you, however, is.

Cheers,
Sach