Re: [tlug] Cultural differences

While I generally agree with Berin's view on the cultural differences, I have to say I was surprised to see C# doing so well at sourceforge and google code given that it's younger than Java and has a much smaller market share (last I heard).  Then again, many of those may just be ports from Java?

Also, it *is* a bit ironic that he points to IntelliJ as part of Java's greatness (as compared to the pay and share alike world of .NET), given that until very recently there was no free version of it :-)

The ASP.NET community at least has come a long way since the last time I worked in it 4 years ago.  It's no longer just a world of benevolent MS offerings, Java ports, and $20 libraries.  The community may not be as rich as Java, but I no longer find it the stumbling point of the platform.  Now it's just the truly fundamental things: there's no way to build an app in it legally without paying someone money; the Windows stack (IIS, RDP, NetBIOS) sucks for deployment, configuration, and troubleshooting; Visual Studio is mildly tolerable only because of a plugin; and the default MVP Web framework that all the legacy web apps are built in makes me weep.

I like LINQ, though :-)

 -Jdbk

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 1:22 AM, Pier Fumagalli <pier@example.com> wrote:
On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 13:06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
Pier Fumagalli writes:

 > As we were talking last night about cultural differences between
 > the Linux, BSD, and Windows communities, Berin (a seasoned
 > Java/Apache developer) was writing up his ideas about the
 > differences between the Java and .NET communities.
 >
 > I think he has a point, and what he says translates nicely to
 > explain the core difference between us and windows folks:
 >
 > http://bloritsch.d-haven.net/articles/2010/06/25/net-culture-shock

You might want to go revisit the link and look at the comments.  While
I am not a C# or Microsoft fan, it sounds to me like Berin just
wandered into a bar he hadn't been in before and none of his friends
were there.

Nothing-to-see-here-please-move-on-people-ly y'rs,

I beg to disagree. True, Berin might have "stumbled in the wrong bar", but the argument is really "how many bars are out there"???

If instead of looking at a couple of comments you're willing to take into consideration a couple of community statistics, I think you'll realize that the actual number of communities out there are a bit different. Let's take into account (for example) a couple of hosting platform, SourceForge and Google Code:

12390 C# SourceForge Projects [1]
43355 Java SourceForge Projects [2]
 3061 C# Google Code Projects [3]
 5631 Java Google Code Projects [4]

In terms of programming language, as far as I can see, we stand Java to C# 3.5:1 on SourceForge and 1.8:1 on Google Code, which is quite indicative of the difference in communities out there (or how many bars can I stumble into, if I randomly choose one VS. the other).

But more important, following up on the conversation last night (and closing the parenthesis about Java vs C#) the numbers for Windows vs Linux are even more interesting:

54625 Windows SourceForge Projects [5]
56268 Linux SourceForge Projects [6]
 2605 Windows Google Code Projects[7]
 4547 Linux Google Code Projects [8]

It's odd to see how an operating system that captures 90% of the market [9] only captures 50% (if so, according to SourceForge, much less according to Google Code) of the developer community.

Few but committed? Lonely by fun? I don't know, but for sure, looking at the numbers the "developer communities" around Linux seem to be a lot more prominent that Windows one.

    Pier

[1] http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/?&fq[]=trove:271
[2] http://sourceforge.net/softwaremap/?&fq[]=trove:198
[3] http://code.google.com/hosting/search?q=label:csharp