Re: [tlug] [OT] A Question About Degrees

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 08:14:44 +0900, Ian Barwick <barwick@example.com> wrote:

> From my point of view a degree is a "nice to have"

FWIW I think you'll find it's pretty much the same the world over nowadays,
especially when it comes to web-related work.

My own recent experience tends to confirm this.

I have no formal qualification beyond secondary education (an "E" series
Baccalauréat taken in France if you want to know), but 8+ years of
hand-coding PHP, (X)HTML and related stuff. I put myself on the job market
on Tuesday and the next day the phone was ringing off the hook with
recruiters after me, offering jobs in the 22k to 28k GBP range. I already
have an interview on Monday with a company that was almost begging the
recruiter to send me in because they've been looking for someone with some
of my skills for months.

So, I certainly think that here in the UK at least we are seeing a return
to the value of your work experience over a diploma, which really only
indicates theoretical competence.

--
G. Stewart - gstewart@example.com

Good judgment comes from bad experience, and a lot of that comes from
bad judgment.