[tlug] Microsoft vs. Firefox

Okay, slightly off-topic: I'm trying to register Visual C++, but Firefox
tells me https://profile.microsoft.com is untrusted.

Now, it turns out Microsoft's certificate is self-signed. Good old
Microsoft, saving themselves a bob or two. The shareholders are going to
be so happy.

What I cannot work out is if:
  * Microsoft has been hacked;
  * Firefox is not supporting Microsoft as a certificate issuer.

I cannot think of any other explanation, but both seem very unlikely.
And Google is telling me I'm either the only person to have noticed this
or I'm using the wrong search keywords :-)
The certificate was issued June 19th 2010 - just 4 days ago. Is this a
new Microsoft venture and that is why Firefox doesn't know about it yet?

SHA1 fingerprint starts with BA:24:AD:CD:...
MD5 fingerprint starts with A7:7E:69:B3:...

Guess I'll wait until tomorrow, then if I've heard nothing about a fresh
Microsoft security flaw I'll just go ahead and accept the cert.

Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)