Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 21:48:54 +0900
Jim Grisanzio <jimgris@example.com> wrote:

> Yah, I agree. I was very surprised by the TV news when I got here and I
> think they could use some touching up. However, in the US where the news
> shows are so ultra-slick and over produced, people loved how Tim Russert
> covered the elections for NBC while writing on a small white board.
> Granted, Russert was pretty skilled rhetorically and in handling props,
> but he surely got attention by going low tech.

Japanese TV stations do have the technology. There are quite a number of
programs that use all kinds of digital shenanigans. There is this show
about World Heritage Sites (name escapes me) that uses a lot of blue
screen and 3d models that the presenters (pretend to) to interact with.

The reason they don't use it on the morning program is probably a
mixture of "we've always done it that way", "grandma Watanabe likes it"
and "it's cheaper".

Martin