Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:39:13 +0900
"Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> I have to contest that.  Whatever else I may say about my urban/
> regional planning colleagues, there is no question that they care
> about aesthetics.  Many people do, including the planning bureaucrats.
> The problem (as usual) is a lack of political will sufficient to
> overcome the vested interests of a relatively small segment of
> society.  Ones who are wealthy enough to enjoy the beautiful gardens
> *within* the 5m high hedge around their 72 tsubos, and the spectacular
> view of the Imperial Palace from 57th floor offices in Marunouchi....

If Japanese planning bureaucrats do care for aesthetics, it doesn't show
in legislation. Except for some areas in Kyoto and (too) few tourist
spots elsewhere, there are little to no rules on how a building can look
like. Use and maximum dimensions are regulated (leading to the weird
slanted buildings you see so often), but not much else.

And property owners frankly don't care if their new building fits other
buildings in the area. Walk down any shotengai and you can tell the
decade the building was made by the kind of tacky that was en vogue at
the time.

Compare that to building codes in the US or in Germany. Home owners
there might curse if they have (e.g.) to make their roof red and only
red, but if you look at Japan you understand what it's good for.

Martin

  Martin Killmann
  Plat'Home Co., Ltd.
  International Sales
  Akihabara Daibiru 9F
  1-18-13 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0021 Japan
  E-mail: martin@example.com
  Tel: +81-3-3251-2603  Fax: +81-3-3251-0629