Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:59:16 +0900
Kyle Hasegawa <kylehase@example.com> wrote:

> This was a discussion at Barcamp Tokyo 2009.  A Japanese in the group
> suggested that Japanese are more comfortable with cluttered websites
> because they regularly parse content without spaces.
> PerhapsIfWeUseCamelCaseFromNowOnItMightBeEasierToBrowseRakuten.

A big jump from sentence layout to page layout. Doesn't convince me.

I blame Japanese television, or more precisely, variety shows. They
still look like back in the 70ies, when everybody was excited about
color TV and studios couldn't have enough rainbows and flower bouquets
and blinkenlights and whatnot.

An even bigger influence have the constant subtitles in all colors,
often three or four at once. It would be interesting whether all that
text is really processed or just ignored. I think it's just highly
developed banner blindness.

Still, even if you have an audience that is well-trained to filter out
text, there is no reason to bury them with it. The reader will still
ignore pretty much everything on the site except for the 3 or 4 objects
that interest him. Cut everything that doesn't get clicked on anyway.

Martin

  Martin Killmann
  Plat'Home Co., Ltd.
  International Sales
  Akihabara Daibiru 9F
  1-18-13 Sotokanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 101-0021 Japan
  E-mail: martin@example.com
  Tel: +81-3-3251-2603  Fax: +81-3-3251-0629