Re: [tlug] [OT] What's up with online Japanese<->Japanese dictionaries?

>>> But part of it is also user conditioning. Japan is one of the few
>>> countries where a cluttered portal like www.yahoo.co.jp is more popular
>>> than the clean www.google.com interface.

>> Yep, Yahoo Japan stubbornly refuse to change their interface in case it
>> earns them more money....
>
> Can you prove your theory that website clutter increases earnings? (And
> vice versa, that removing clutter would cut into their revenues?)

Stephen gave a very interesting one (advertisers would rather pay for a
small piece of a crowded top page).
But I was merely saying that Yahoo must think their current design is
optimal for their business or they would change it.

> I wonder why there is a design preference for overload and clutter in
> Japanese websites and I don't think there is a trivial answer.
> It's even more baffling when you consider traditional Japanese
> aesthetics.

Wandering even more off-topic, do you think modern Japanese people like
traditional Japanese aesthetics?
I have my doubts, or they wouldn't have been able to create Tokyo,
pachinko or a Bic Camera store.

Darren

http://dcook.org/gobet/  (Shodan Go Bet - who will win?)