Re: [tlug] Dead Compact Flash (32GB)

Nguyen Vu Hung <vuhung16plus@example.com> Wrote:
> So you are using some GUI to manage your CF card?
> What is the name of the file manager, distro you are using?

Ubuntu 10.04, with both Dolphin and Nautilus.

> > Any way of reviving this?
> I suggest fsck.vfat.

Thanks, Hung-san. I was waiting to respond till I could
see whether I was able to revive the card using your
help. Unfortunately, since I last wrote, I have not
once been able to get the distro to see the card.
Before, when I was using Dolphin/Nautilus to try to
read it, I could mount/unmount it most of the time,
though sometimes it didn't show up and I just unplugged
it and plugged it in again. Not now. No matter how many
times I unplug it and replug it, it doesn't show.

I have an old laptop with XP on it and tried it with
a card reader. XP saw the card and offered to format
it. So, I said sure. After the message about "Are you
sure? Your data on this card will be lost forevermore
and you will never see it or your grandkids again!"
it tried to format. It never succeeds in actually
doing so, though.

Seems like a lost cause. I can't find the receipt
for the card, so I can't take it back, and I can't
use it --it's not heavy enough to use as a boat
anchor. I'm at my wits end with this.

I do appreciate the advice, though.
Thanks,
--Ralph