Re: [tlug] google ditching windows and going for open source software

On Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:15:31 +0900
Jon Povey <jon@example.com> wrote:

> On 04/06/2010 21:25, Attila Kinali wrote:
> > But the funny thing is, that we are using Eclipse + gcc + OpenOCD for
> > our cross compiling toolchain and struggle with a lot of issues because
> > windows isnt a unix ^^;
>
> I use VirtualBox and XMing to have a virtual Linux box and use X apps. I
> cross-compile and use OpenOCD too :)

I thought about that, but found it easier to just grab an old PC
that was lying around and installed a linux on it. It runs faster too! ;-)

> Haven't tried Eclipse much.. keep meaning to.

IMHO for anyone who is used to code on a unixoid system, the
only reason to use Eclipse is because he is forced to code
on windows, where you cannot just open a bunch of terminal windows
and where no working window managere exist.

> What are you working on, out of interest? Me, ARM Linux video/GPS
> systems on TI SoCs.

Well, there is no "we are working on" plattform.
<advertisment>
Our company is specialized on the difficult stuff. Ie our customers
usualy come to us after failing to find anyone else who'd work
on that project, or after trying three other engineering compnanies
who all failed on that project (i'm not exagerating!). Hence the
kind of projects we do is very broad, starting from EEG recording
devices that fit on the head of a mouse, over analog mesurement
amplifiers with programmable filters and amplification over multiple
decades to medical implants with wireless power supplies.
</advertisment>

Thus the type of uC we use is also quite different, depending on
the project we are on. Currently it's about 50% ARM7TDMI (SAM7 family
from Atmel), 20-30% MSP430 and various PIC, a few 8bit uC and also
some full fledged x86 based systems. There are also the first projects
where we use a Cortex-M3 uC, but those still are not bugfree enough
for general use.

<request mode="shameles plug">
If anyone has some electronics project where they are looking for
a partner who can do even the most difficult things, i wouldn't mind
if you'd contact me. I'm looking for an excuse to fly to Japan
on company expenses ;-)
</request>

			Attila Kinali
--