Re: [tlug] [OT: recent legal changes for paypal in Japan?]

On 06/08/2010 04:43 PM, scott wrote:
> Apologies for the off topic thread- just had a quick question that I
> thought someone on the list might be able to help with. I was thinking
> of adding a PayPal donate button to a website I'm running. However, it
> appears that since April 1st the law has changed in Japan- according to
> PayPal:
>
> "Japanese users cannot send money to their friends or relatives living
> in Japan or outside of Japan. They can only make payments for the
> purchase of goods and services."
>
> Which reads to me like "Unless you are an official registered tax paying
> merchant selling a product in Japan, no yen for you."

The law they are referring to is the 資金決済法.  The law is designed to
protect ignorant users from unscrupulous financial institutions.  My
understanding is that because PayPal doesn't have a Japanese banking
license so they are effected by this.  IANAL so talk to one if you need
legal advice.

Edward