Re: [tlug] Bios/MBR Tattooing

Le lundi 7 juin 2010, Stephen J. Turnbull a écrit :
> license doing that with Vista or Seven.  I've heard that with Windows
> 7 if you "dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/hdb" then swap the drives, the boot
> will fail with an unlicensed hardware error.  (This from a university
> technician who as far as I know doesn't hate Microsoft.)  Might be
> just FUD, but then turn about is fair play. ;-)

Not a FUD, and since XP. "hardware tattooing" issues exits with many
manufacturers such as Packard Bell, Acer, HP Compaq, Medion, Gericom and
others.
They just provide a modified bios unable to boot another os on first partition
(or another hard drive) and in rare cases totally refuses another OS or disk.

Pretending fighting piracy (implicitely supposing that MS has no activation
procedures, and doesn't ship a copy with each PC), they just deny consumer
rights to upgrade hardware, change os, or access the windows tax refund
(another fight).

Francois