Re: [tlug] Where to buy a laptop

Birkir, Dave, Nicolas,

Thanks for the tips on laptop purchases!

The reason I wouldn't go for the suggested Lenovos is that they are the extra large type of laptop with the keypad on the right. I actually carry mine around a lot, and so weight and size are a consideration.

The Acer ones are okay. The thing about the wide screen format is that it's acceptable if the form factor of the laptop overall is sized to match. It's really only offensive to me when the size of the laptop could accommodate a bigger screen, but instead there is more frame.

Right now I'm thinking of something like this:

http://kakaku.com/used/pc/ca=0020/shop/10300/pUN933511/

It's basically the same as what I have now, but a smidgen better - dual core CPU instead of my single core, and 1 GB RAM over 512MB.

I'm not totally thrilled with the price, though. Am I nuts for thinking that 60,000 yen should be able to get a laptop with much more impressive specs than mine - since mine was manufactured over four years ago, and bought two years ago for about the same price?

I remember when I bought my current dying laptop, I got them to knock off almost 10,000 yen by taking Windows off (maybe it was more like 8,000 yen). From my recent looking around, it seems that I must have got kind of lucky on that part of the deal. I was actually in Akihabara the other day, and places where I looked at laptops either already had no OS, or if they had Windows, they weren't willing to remove it or alter the price.

--
Dave M G