Re: [tlug] Android tablet

 On 6/3/2010 2:46 PM, Edmund Edgar wrote:
Don't know if anyone else has looked into this, but I've wondering
about cancelling my Softbank subscription, buying an Android phone
off-the-shelf and getting one of these all-you-can-drink data sims:

http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim/index.html

...then just using Skype for voice.

Anyone tried that or know of any reasons why it would / wouldn't work
/ be a good idea?

Presumably either one of these data cards
http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim/devices.html
...or some kind of phone tethering setup would let me hook up my
laptop to the same sim, at no extra monthly cost?

Unfortunately there's no Skype VoIP for Android yet (Verizon excluded). The rumor is that there will be a Skype VoIP app for Android later this year. You could use Fring which supports Skype calls but the sound quality is poor even on a stable WiFi -> fiber connection. I only use it for contacts who insist on using Skype.

The alternative is SIP. I'm currently using SIPdroid which has much better quality than Fring. The only problem is that it's Sipdroid is not an all-in-one solution. You'll need a SIP server and inbound dial-in number (DID).

There could also be network limitations but you won't know until you test it. Bmobile uses the Foma network throttled to 300k up/down (from Docomo's 7.2/5.7Mbps). This could impact voice quality and latency depending on the shaping method and audio codec even at full signal strength. It would be great if Emobile supported a decent Android device but until then there's always the pocket WiFi.

If there's interest I could present my Android VoIP setup (using Google Voice) as well as other SIP alternatives at the technical meeting.

--Kyle