Re: [tlug] Is it the hardware or the software killing my laptop?: Relubing Fans; Bulged Caps

Jon Povey wrote:

> On 03/06/2010 02:58, Dave M G wrote:
> > I've got a nice little Panasonic "Let's Note" laptop, with Ubuntu Lucid
> > installed.

> > Recently, it's been crashing.
> > Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do to find the problem?

> Could be overheating due to dust buildup, or fan failure.
>
> Try opening it up and cleaning it out (airduster cans are good - do it
> outside!) and check the fans are running.

If a fan does not run, even when there is no longer anything
obstructing it, nudge it with your fingers. If it does not
freely rotate, it needs lubrication. Most fans can be
relubricated[2], and it's not hard to do so. I can walk you
through with my technique if you need it. I have resuscitated
many fans by relubricating them.

By the way, I usually _hear_ fans that need lubrication before
they stop. A bearing[3] that does not have lubrication is called
a "dry bearing" and will have an erratic (chaotic) or hoarse
sound. I can walk into a room with several computers and hear
one dry bearing. Once you know the sound, and know the
consequences, they are hard to ignore. I relube fans quicker
than you can go to a store to buy a new one.

Also check for bulged capacitors[1].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
    http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/不良電解コンデンサ問題

[2] http://www.google.com/search?q=relubricating+CPU+fans