Re: [tlug] Is it the hardware or the software killing my laptop?

Anyone have any suggestions as to what I might do to find the problem?
I'd like to be sure what I'm dealing with before I consider replacing
the laptop.

Might try enabling sshd on it and the next time it freezes see if you can log into it from another box, via sshd. If you can login and the box is still running you might be able to take a look at things to get a better idea about what might be causing the issue. Also depending on the hardware capabilities and how reliably the issue happens you could always try letting it run for a while off of a live cd to see if the issue re-occurs. If it does with completely different software then it's likely a hardware issue. You could also try running some diagnostic software to test the hardware out a bit.

Romeo