[tlug] How can my computer forget to do stuff sometimes?

TLUG,

I run Ubuntu Lucid, with the Gnome desktop, in combination with Compiz and Emerald. If you're not familiar with any one of those, it's not really that important what role each of them plays. Altogether they run the GUI interface, each application manages different tasks.

80 to 90 percent of the time, when I boot up the computer, they all load, they all work, and everything is great.

But now and again, I boot the computer, and something will be off. For instance, the Emerald window manager won't be on, so my windows won't have any frames on them. Or sometimes recenly the little icon for rebooting and restarting the computer is missing from my Gnome panel.

About five to ten percent of the time, there's some small issue with the interface. Sometimes I reboot and its fine. Sometimes I just have to start the particular program that's not functioning.

What confuses me about this is that I don't see how anything can vary from boot to boot. As far as I understand it, when the computer boots, it runs through the same list of tasks to start things up, in the same order every single time.

So if, for example, Emerald didn't load one time, simply rebooting shouldn't fix it. It should remain off every time.

Or, if it works, it should work every time.

The whole point of computers is to execute tasks exactly the same way each time.

I'm not looking for a solution so much as I'm just curious. How can it even be possible for a computer to overlook a task every now and again?

--
Dave M G