Re: [tlug] Into the ring: distro wars reducks

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Edward Middleton writes:
>
>  > For what you do that may be the case, but in general, I think this is
>  > more psychological.  With Apple stuff, if it doesn't work it will never
>  > work so you don't waste time trying.
>
> Not at all.  OK, you're talking about video drivers and Apple video is
> basically opaque to the hacker, but everything outside the GUI is wide
> open.  And MacPorts sucks pretty much as bad as Gentoo -- you can
> waste a lot of time there.  Speaking of which ...

Well I will take Gentoo over MacPorts any day but each to his own.

>  > With Linux its always just a matter of time so you do.
>
> Huh.  Problem is, those Gentoo maintainers can break things way faster
> than anybody can fix them.

Probably, I don't let them touch my machine ;)

> Doesn't anybody over there actually
> install their changes on a vanilla system before uploading?

Why would you use Gentoo if your running a vanilla system ;)

> .. And
> what's with the FEATURES=+test idiocy?  You just have to turn it off
> anyway, one in five ports fails to build, which makes emerge -u world
> kinda useless.

Is the test feature enabled on your vanilla profile!  Last time I looked
it was just running the test from upstream, which are not well
maintained on most projects.  I gave up when gcc didn't pass.

Edward