Re: [tlug] to pad or not to pad, thats the question

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 03:44:34PM +0300, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 15:28, eredicatorx@example.com <
> eredicatorx@example.com> wrote:
> >>  What flavor Linux are you running on the Sony? I was thinking of getting
> > one of those. I like the design and do not mind the small screen. I have
> > good eyes....
> As a netbook, on paper, the Vaio-P is fantastic (perfect size, built in
> HSPDA modem and webcam, ...), but running Linux on it is a heck of a
> nightmare. After one year with it, I would *not* recommend it unless in the
> most recent incarnations they at least changed the graphic card.

Nope, still with a GMA500 :p
It's so sad that Intel is not providing/sponsoring decent drivers for
that.
Vaio-X has the same issue, a wonderful machine, everything is supported
in Linux out of the box, memory stick and webcam (uvc) included.
Except for those awful psb drivers for the GMA500 that took quite some
effort to set up and are unmaintained and definitely of poor quality.

In short stay away from anything carrying an Intel GMA500 card... for
now at least, until a decent driver appears.
--
mattia
:wq!