Re: [tlug] to pad or not to pad, thats the question

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 15:28, eredicatorx@example.com <eredicatorx@example.com> wrote:

I'm actually ditching my NetBook for the iPad. After one year, all I've done on it was browse the web, read email and (very rarely) use SSH to connect to my servers. All can be done on a tablet, and on top of it I also get a bigger/better screen to browse and read eBooks (I have a Vaio-P netbook running Linux, fonts are tiny).

What flavor Linux are you running on the Sony? I was thinking of getting one of those. I like the design and do not mind the small screen. I have good eyes....

A mix of Ubuntus with some hand glueing. Basically, 9,10 supports the Poulsbo (Intel GMA500) abeit horribly through a backport from 9.04. At the same time the 3G modem of the Japanese model is only supported with 10.04 (which doesn't support the GMA500 above).

Mix-and-match, and 1 week later I have it more-or-less working, apart from power management: it freezes when it tries to sleep.

As a netbook, on paper, the Vaio-P is fantastic (perfect size, built in HSPDA modem and webcam, ...), but running Linux on it is a heck of a nightmare. After one year with it, I would *not* recommend it unless in the most recent incarnations they at least changed the graphic card.

My brother is a iAPP developer and sees the ipad as the next logical step. A hard core Unix Engineer that I know with summed up the iPad that he bought for his wife by saying "I found a app that did what I wanted, and bought it in the App Store in a few minutes for a few hundred yen. I can see what the attraction for everyday people would be."

Honestly, I've spent enough time over the last 12 months on my Vaio-P to get it more-or-less working: it's demoralizing. The appeal of a machine that "just works" (even if it's not open and what not) when I'm travelling is the main driver pushing from Linux/Sony to iPad.

Linux is great (have been running it on servers for what's close to 15 years), but honestly, usability wise, it's still a bit too rough and unpolished for my everyday use.

    Pier