Re: [tlug] The Famous MMORPG Ultima Online on Linux

On 2010/05/11, at 7:31, "Jonathan Byrne" <jonathan@example.com> wrote:
This isn't a broken email client problem, it's a broken user problem.

Snip

By reminding people of proper netiquette, we're trying to fix the real
problem.

Without putting too fine a point on it, it is entirely possible to be polite while pointing out a minor mistake. That too is a part of netiquette that I fear was lost after eternal September.

Referring to someone as a "broken user" over something that is not obvious for someone unversed in email headers is very strong in a written context. This is doubly the case for a person with English as a second language in Japan.

By all means, educate. However, I respectfully submit to you that meaningless rancor only reduces the level of discourse in an otherwise interesting list.

Apologies for prolonging this, but I feel strongly about the treatment of newbies in the open source world.