Re: [tlug] low power home server

On 05/09/10 15:21, Janos Gyerik wrote:
How about getting a cheap router and a NAS?

Thanks Nikolay, I'll look into that. Is there a particular router and
NAS you recommend?

I don't really know what's current, but you might want to get a router that is 'hackable', so that you can flash dd-wrt/openwrt. Those give you more options/features even if you use the cheapest model. And sometimes the firmwares that ship with routers are just buggy. Check the dd-wrt ([1], [2]) site for details, but linksys routers are usually supported.

For a NAS, I use Netgear ReadyNAS, they have a strong community, and you can easily root it (they provide the 'plugin'), so that you can make it run practically anything. You might want to get a device that comes without disks, so that you can choose your disks freely.

HTH

[1] http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices
[2] http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
[3] http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage.aspx