Re: [tlug] Empty databases after moving MySQL data files

Dave M G writes:

 > I wanted to add the 'mysql' user to the 'dave' group, but there isn't a
 > 'mysql' user.

Try `grep -i sql /etc/passwd'.  If that comes up empty (ie, nothing
obviously related to mysql), you should probably reinstall your mysql
packages.  MySQL installs a 'mysql' user on all the systems where I have
it.  My Debian system doesn't happen to use MySQL at all, so YMMV, but
it seems very likely that Debian/Ubuntu would follow the same practice.

If you do go the reinstall route, watch the log/error messages very
carefully.