Re: [tlug] Home printer suggestions: Demand Postscript

Gernot Hassenpflug writes:
 > On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 6:48 PM, Naruhiko Ogasawara <naruoga@example.com> wrote:
 > > On the other hand, Gutenprint.
 > If one looks at the printer support in the latest releases of
 > Gutenprint (version 5.2.5 printer support I believe is here:
 > http://gutenprint.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php), there is
 > much good news for Canon and Epson owners.

Based on the model series I'm familiar with in that list, the
situation for Canon and Epson has not changed in over a year, except
that the most recent supported model is now X+1 years old, for a value
of X at least *5* for Canon and *3* for Epson.  Note that they also
say that many of those drivers are "under development."  The
Gutenprint folks are trying, but there's really not that much good
news there.

 > http://www.sane-project.org/lists/sane-backends-cvs.html). Many Canon
 > and Epson devices are completely supported.

Strangely enough, I've had much better luck with scanners.  Or maybe
it's not so strange; it's just a matter of spitting out a serialized
rectangular bitmap.  Anyway, both my Canon MP-950 and my Epson PM-A970
could be coaxed to produce high-quality scans from day 1 (5 and 3
years ago, respectively).