[tlug] Ubuntu update woes

Today a major update notice came to my system, and I agreed, as always,
to let Ubuntu update itself. Major problems.

1. No sound.
2. No scanner (although the printer portion of the Brother all-in-one printer/fax/scanner works).
3. Wondering what else is broken.

I guess I should just feel lucky they didn't break the internet connection.
I was notified that all the 3rd-party repositories had been turned off by
the update and if I wanted to use them (why else would I have turned
them on?) I would have to go reset them. That I can do.

Any suggestions as to where I should start trying to fix this? (I am not a geek,
and really don't know where to start.)

Thanks,
--Ralph in Chiba