[tlug] Java Console Confusion

Can someone please set me straight on Java terms, packages, and locations? I think I am having nomenclature problems ... in addition to a few others ...

I need to use the MOJ's Touki Database regularly and it requires Java (JRE) support. It has never liked any of the Java choices I have offered it in any *Buntu flavor I have tried. I have been doing my lookups in WIN (English XP with Japanese IME on Virtualbox), printing to .pdf and dragging the file to the Linux side to send or process.

I have this, perhaps silly, idea that I can/should/could/ought to be able to eliminate at least one step in this process *somehow*.

In XP Firefox (currently 3.6.2) I have several Java consoles -- from 6.0 to 6.12 -- that load as add-ons.

In Xubuntu Firefox (currently 3.5.8) I have none.

Firefox add-on page tells me that support for Java Console has been stopped with JRE 1.6. When I try to D/L + install an earlier version I am told that my version of Firefox is too old.

libjline-java is installed in Xubuntu.

As a result, Touki Database tells me that I have Java running in both Xubuntu Firefox and XP Firefox. However, only XP Firefox produces results.

So ...

Do I have an OS issue or a Firefox issue?

Is there some fix for this that would allow JRE to run properly in Xubuntu?

Or, should I blow this off and keep doing things the long way around?

--
CL