Re: [tlug] Customized log file monitor

Hi,

> I am looking for a tool that runs on Linux that parses a log file
> (/path/to/log/dir/yyyymmdd.log),
> mail to a specified email address if some specified text ("Error") is
> spotted.
>
> The number of files to be monitors is close to 50.
> The text to be watch is "Error" on string.
> Log file's filename changes everyday but I think I can solve it with ln -s.
>
> swatch does the job, IIRC.
> I just want to know if there is alternatives.

I use logcheck, and it works pretty well
-> http://logcheck.org/

Its intended use is not exactly the one you describe: It moditors a
given set of logfiles, and warns you when these files contain
something special, based on whitelist and blacklist regular
expressions. I think you can customize this behaviour.

On the other hand, cron + logtail + grep + mail should be enough.

--
Nicolas LIMARE
smtp:nicolas@example.com                            pgp:0xFA423F4F