Re: [tlug] state of the art filtering

Lewske Wada wrote:
> Attila Kinali wrote:
> > I don't use grey listing or TMDA as i deem their
> > disadvantages higher than their benefit.

I stopped using greylisting on my personal domain as it annoys me
when I sign up for some forum or something and then have to wait for
the mail server retry.

On another server I'm still using greylisting, but that one is
mostly mailing lists and no personal mail accounts.

Would be interesting to check the logs and see how big the
percentage of mail servers that didn't come back after being denied
by greylisting really is...

Traffic is rather small though:

date          received  delivered   deferred    bounced     rejected
Mar 15 2010        91         44         15          3       2431
Mar 16 2010        17          2          6          1       1352

Rejection percentage is about 98%.

Compared to that on my personal domain its 58%:

date          received  delivered   deferred    bounced     rejected
Mar 14 2010       402        271          2          0        263
Mar 15 2010       829        413          1          0        701
Mar 16 2010       256        127          0          0        215

> > What do you guys use? And do you have any recomendations
> > to improve the setup above?
> >
> It depends on the kind of your SMTP server.
> When I was using Postfix, I used to be directly editing
> "/etc/postfix/header_checks" file to add addresses and subjects
> that are suspicious using regular expressions and it worked great.
>
> For some malicious cases, you need to also add an expression
> matching the body part in "/etc/postfix/body_checks".

body_checks is also neat to catch spam backscatter to mailing lists.
There shouldn't be any valid use of the ml address as envelope
sender.

/^[ |>]*Return-[pP]ath: <?(list1|list2|list3)@(domain1|domain2)\.tld>?/ REJECT Faked Return-Path in message body
/^[ |>]*From: .*<?(list1|list2|list3)@(domain1|domain2)\.tld>?/ REJECT Faked From in message body

and in header_checks I have