Re: [tlug] Acer Aspire One Power Supply Problem: Intermittentcy may be due to several things (was "power cord does not fit")

On Sat, Mar 13, 2010 at 11:36:27AM -0500, jep200404 wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:
>
> > That [netbook power] jack was actually never that good--
> > one has to juggle the cord to make sure it's charging, ...
>
> Ah! So power was already intermittent.

One had to jiggle the cord connection--I thought it was in the cord.

> A damaged jack is merely one possibility.[2]

Granted, but I'm preparing for the worst.  As Amazon has another Asus
that I wanted, (the 1005HA) for about $20 less than anywhere else, and
Godwin was kind enough to pass on a gift certificate that was only good
for Amazon in the US....

(Great price by the way--it lists at about $350, NewEgg has it for $317
but Amazon is charging $284.  Even considering Amazon charges tax, with
NewEgg's shipping (and this is vs. Amazon's two day guaranteed) I'm
coming out about $10 ahead.   Oh--that was the certificate Godwin gave
me.  Still, for 2 day guaranteed shipping from NewEgg, it would have
been more. :) )

> A bad thing that many people do with electrical cords is to
> bend them sharply, especially close to the ends of the cords.
> Laptop lusers especially _love_ to tightly bend the cord where
> it comes out of the power supply brick, back against said brick.
> Eventually the wires inside break due to fatigue[1].

That could be it too.  She's very very good at what she does, but she
isn't a technical person.

<spam>
By the way, if anyone in Tokyo is interested in trying a Gyrontonic
class, let me know.
http://gyrotonic.com/
(I don't think there's a website for the classes she's giving there, if
there is, and I hear from at least 3 people on the list, I'll post it.)

I'm taking advantage of the fact that I'm a longtime list member, and
hope that other list members forgive the above.

> Tying knots in cords is also stupid.

That at least, she doesn't do.  :)

Jim (and Dave), I once again want to thank both of you for the input,
even though the problem turned out to be different.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6