Re: [tlug] Making a shell script output at a terminal

On 2010-03-09 20:28 +0900 (Tue), Dave M G wrote:

> The problem with going to a terminal is that I have to open the terminal
> and type in the right path and name of the script. A lot of repeated
> keystrokes. But the upside is that I get output which can let me know if
> there are errors or anything.

Here's why this isn't an issue for me:

1. I always have a lot of terminals open anyway. Even if I don't have
one handy, hitting my special menu key (it happens to be one of the
special keys on a Japanese keyboard that I've mapped to my window
manager's menu) followed by 's' opens a new terminal in any free area of
the window or otherwise under my mouse pointer.

2. I keep all my useful scripts in my ~/bin directory, which I make sure
is always in my path. I use tab-completion so that I need type only part
of the name or, if it's something I use terribly often, I give it a very
short name or an alias.

It also helps that I'm a very fast touch typist. (80-100 WPM.)

This sort of thing may not be for you, but you might contemplate it,
because I'm far faster in my world than most mouse users I know.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974
             http://www.starling-software.com