Re: [tlug] Blocking unknown and unclear bots

On 2010-02-23 07:53 +0000 (Tue), Godwin Stewart wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:37:30 +0900, Curt Sampson
> <cjs@example.com> wrote:
>
> > This is why you want to filter bots by desired behaviour, rather than
> > "who" they are.
>
> Or by IP address.

I don't understand. So if a "good" bot and a "bad" bot swop IP
addresses, you start blocking the (presumably ex-) "good" bot, and now
allow the (presumably ex-) "bad" bot?

> If you know that a certain IP allocation harbours nasty bots then just
> block it regardless of what the user agent string is.

Right, but my question is, "what makes a bot nasty?"

If you know that, why would you care what it's user-agent string, IP
address, or anything else is?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson         <cjs@example.com>         +81 90 7737 2974