Re: [tlug] Anthy's Tiny Candidates Window

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:33:39PM +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> When I type in some hiragana in Anthy and then press space to bring up
> some kanji candidates, I get tiny, tiny little characters that I almost
> need a magnifying glass to read. I can't seem to find a setting in the
> SCIM setup menu to make the candidates window bigger. Does anybody know
> how I can fix this?

>This is on Ubuntu 9.04, with scim-anthy-1.2.7.

No--and I can't duplicate it either on an Aspire One running EEEbuntu,
which is built on 9.04.   Have you found this to be consistent between
machines?

Hopefully, someone with more Ubuntu/Gnome knowledge will have a better
answer, but in the interim---have you tried ibus?

Fedora now uses ibus by default.  While Fedora (we're working hard to
make MS and Apple look good), has the goal of putting things in before
they're ready for prime time, I'm finding ibus to be quite good, and
althoug it's entirely subjective, also find its characters to be
slightly clearer.  I believe that Ubuntu also has it available.
(I'm not positive of that, however.)

Anyway, despite its sounding like an Apple product [1], I'm finding that
it works better (for me, with my admittedly limited use of Japanese
input these days) than scim.

I'm getting the general impression that it will be replacing scim, in
the same way that scim-anthy gradually almost completely replaced
kinput-canna.  Its advantages, according to its creators

---------

Ibus has been rewritten in C. Scim written in C++ using STL has problems
with weak symbol conflicts without the added complexity and lower
stability of the scim-bridge layer to workaround that.

* It is possible to write client and engines for ibus in any language
* that supports dbus bindings.

* ibus loads engines on demand rather than all installed engines as scim
* does, which improves the startup tim scim loads engines as dl-modules
* so a problem in any engine can take down scim, whereas in ibus because
* the processes are separated only a faulty process will die leaving
* rest of the system working normally.

* The architecture of ibus is bus-centric and so much closer to the CJK
* OSS Forum Workgroup 3 draft "Specification of IM engine Service
* Provide and memory footprint.
I realize that this doesn't answer your question, and apologize, but
hope that perhaps it won't be a complete waste of your time.