Re: [tlug] Question regarding TV Card for Linux;

Dave M G wrote:
Bjoern,

I asked about this a while back as well. I can't find the thread right
now, but the bottom line is that Japanese digital signals have
proprietary encoding, and there are no PC cards licensed to carry their
signal. At least not right now, and not anything supported in Linux for
the foreseeable future.

I don't know about satellite connections, though.

I have a Mythbuntu machine with a Hauppauge PVR-150 card in it, which
will become useless in 2011 when all broadcasts go digital. So I'm also
interested in developments in how to get digital signal on a Linux machine.

We have an IO Data Chideji converter for our "spare" analogue set. It is supposed to work as a Chideji / BS / CS frontend for any analogue TV as well as being able to act as the tuner for a computer monitor / speakers setup. I got it free from one of the Eigojin at my wife's school who was headed home, but I have seen them for as little as Yen 6,800 in local chirashi and Yen 4,000 at Hard Off in Mito.

--
CL